Now that year 2 has begun, I really need an accounting program to organize all my income, expenses, customers, inventory, etc….! QuickBooks is probably the most popular option for small business accounting, but I really don’t have the money to spend on that right now. So I did a little researching on what is out there that won’t cost as much, and turns out there are a bunch of FREE programs available! Here are some that I tried out:
1. FreshBooks (website)
- Pros: It was listed as the most popular free accounting program. It is versatile and can be used anywhere-tablet, laptop, desktop, mobile. Invoicing, expense tracking, time tracking, taxes, reports, etc. Overall, very user-friendly.
- Cons: I can’t seem to create an itemized invoice versus one with hourly expenses.
2. Outright (website)
- Pros: CAN add old transactions. Nice interface. Charts showing profit and loss info each month. Invoices, expenses, reports, taxes, etc.
- Cons: Cannot specify individual items in the transaction.
3. Wave (website)
- Pros: Invoicing, accounting, payroll, bills, etc. CAN add items to invoices. Easy to use.
4. Zoho Invoice (website)
- Pros: Invoices, expenses, reports, etc. Overall very good.
- Cons: Can’t add old transactions. Interface
5. Express Accounts (website)
- Pros: Best choice in my opinion! Downloads to your computer, for FREE, and is not on the web. Options to use web accounts in order to access from other devices. Can link to Inventoria.com, a free inventory program! Very professional option and great to do all bookkeeping.
- Cons: A little difficult to get used to if not familiar with accounting terminology and organization. Tutorials are available though. Not very pretty.
Hope these tips are helpful… If you have any experience with these programs or any other ones, feel free to leave tips, advice, or comments below!